1 month ago
Arlington, Va.Back to All Careers
Consumer Brands’ office is open for hybrid work! Our fully vaccinated team collaborates in the office at least two days per week and works remotely for the remaining days. We are committed to employee safety and wellness and continue to monitor federal, state and local guidance for best practices when it comes to the coronavirus.
The director, accounting is responsible for collaborating across the organization, managing work in the department, and executing a full range of accounting functions to support the organization’s operations. Reporting directly to the vice president, operations, this role oversees and performs the day-to-day financial activities to keep the organization running and in compliance with financial regulations.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Prepare and review for accuracy all monthly accounting entries and reports, including journal entry, balance sheet accounts and financial statements, for both the association, its foundation and the PAC. Investigate and correct variances.
- Prepare and review Accounts Payable including auditing senior staff expense reports and preparing monthly and year-end AP-related tax filings (Sales and Use, 1099s, unclaimed property, etc.)
- Oversee Accounts Receivable process including aging, the review of incoming checks for accuracy and timely deposit, and the collection process for the association, its foundation, and the PAC.
- Assist with the preparation of corporate and event profitability analyses.
- Responsible for all accounting functions of the PAC including preparing and reviewing the ledger, reviewing FEC reports, submitting quarterly reports, and coordinating the annual audit.
- Prepare, in partnership with the vice president, the organization’s budget and forecast.
- Lead the dues lobbying disallowance process as part of the annual membership dues cycle.
- Responsible for oversight of all payroll processing and related transactions including but not limited to 457(b) wires and PAC contributions.
- Responsible for reviewing and adjusting employee W-2s for non-cash employee benefits in compliance with the IRS requirements.
Tax and Audit
- Maintain census data for defined benefit plan (pension) and submit PBGC filings.
- Conducts annual non-discrimination testing.
- Manage all fixed assets from procurement and tagging through calculation of depreciation.
- Streamline and create efficiencies within the Finance team, including building processes and procedures, implementing new systems, and acquiring new vendors.
- Work with auditors and the vice president on all organizational tax filings including but not limited to excise taxes, sales taxes, state exemptions, and tax obligations including monthly, quarterly, and annual tax filings for state and local including preparation of Form 990 and 5500.
- Manage the annual audit of the company financials, retirement and employee savings plans and all tax fillings in partnership with the external audit firm.
Experience & Education
- 5 – 7 years related experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- CPA certification desirable.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics and Office 365 required.
- Proficiency with accounting and payroll applications (Concur, Bill.com, CashPro, etc.) desirable.
- Expert knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Expert proficiency in Microsoft Excel required.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit who thrives in a fast-paced, changing environment, willing to peek around corners and tackle big strategic challenges while implementing tactical tasks.
- Excellent written communications skills.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Superior project management skills including the ability to juggle multiple priorities, manage deadlines and budgets, and work with little supervision.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including the ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues and to build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Our Updates, Delivered to You
Receive the latest updates from the Consumer Brands Association.