Director and Counsel
2 weeks ago
Arlington, Va.Back to All Careers
The director and counsel provides legal advice and counsel on a broad range of legal, transactional, compliance and regulatory topics to the organization and stakeholders. Reporting to the general counsel and senior vice president, operations and initiatives, this role will support the day-to-day legal functions of the operations and initiatives team. Additionally, this position will facilitate member engagement through the development of legal affairs event content and exchange communities, as well as provide legal and policy support to both the association’s regulatory and technical affairs department and public affairs department.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Manage and administer the contract process, including assisting staff with contractual negotiations as requested, reviewing contracts/proposals/RFPs/letters and evaluating contract performance.
- Assist the general counsel with corporate governance activity, including drafting meeting materials and minutes.
- Review and draft amendments to legislation.
- Manage outside counsel.
- Create legal exchange communities on key issues in our industry such as class action litigation and, in collaboration with the regulatory affairs department, priority regulatory issues.
- Collaborate with the member engagement department to drive attendance and content for the association’s annual legal forum and legal committee meetings.
- Establish and maintain relationships with members and stakeholders as requested.
- Attend key regulatory meetings and industry events as requested.
- Proactively track priority legal issues.
- Analyze proposed regulations, guidance and other emerging issues as needed.
- Review stakeholder comments, talking points and presentations on issues.
- Provide general expertise and assistance on legal issues related to the organization’s strategic issues.
Experience and Education:
- A law degree (JD) is required.
- 3-5 years of related employment required.
- Corporate and/or non-profit experience preferred.
- Consumer packaged goods industry experience desirable.
- Passion for learning issues, building strategy and tactics and executing against a plan.
- Careful attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent written communication and proofreading skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including collaboration and relationship building.
- Excellent customer service skills and email etiquette.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize work.
- Excellent decision-making skills.
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Ability to work on cross-functional teams.
- Proficiency in Office 365 Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Flexibility in learning new software and/or computer/technical applications.
The Consumer Brands Association is an equal opportunity employer that supports a diverse workforce. We seek candidates for employment based on knowledge, skills and abilities that are relevant to job performance. We do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Get Updates Delivered to Your Inbox
Sign up to receive the latest updates from the Consumer Brands Association.