Director, Federal Affairs
1 week ago
Rosslyn, VABack to All Careers
Consumer Brands continues to monitor the ever-evolving pandemic. This position will interview, onboard and work remotely for the foreseeable future and will be expected to be regularly available in the DC-Metro area when federal, state and local guidance support a safe return to face-to-face meetings.
Are you passionate about making a difference in the nation you call home? At Consumer Brands, the work we do is powerful, meaningful and has never been more relevant. The director, federal affairs is responsible for translating the organization’s strategic priorities into legislative and advocacy strategies. The director will manage complex issues, frame narrative and serve as a recognized expert and trusted communicator, both internally and externally, within the federal policy arena. Reporting to the vice president, federal affairs this role will advocate for policies that promote affordability, choice and trust for the American consumer.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Work collaboratively to build awareness of the organization’s political identity and leadership with key constituencies.
- Advocate for policy positions impacting consumer packaged goods manufacturers with the U.S. government.
- Establish and maintain relationships with Congress, federal regulators, and allied trade associations.
- Initiate communications to member companies to inform, solicit feedback or respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Coordinate and attend Political Action Committee events.
- Coordinate Hill meetings on behalf of member companies and association-led coalitions.
- Coordinate and facilitate conference calls and strategy meetings; lead discussions as assigned.
- Partner with internal divisions on emerging policy issues impacting the consumer packaged goods industry and the association’s strategic priorities.
- Draft witness testimony and questions for congressional hearings.
- Analyze bills, amendments and regulatory comments as needed.
- Draft position papers, talking points and slide decks on assigned issues.
- A minimum of a BA/BS degree is required.
- Minimum of 5-6 years of related employment is required.
- A track record of demonstrated results in government, association and/or political environments.
- Experience in supply chain, transportation, agriculture and/or sustainability is desirable.
- Proficient understanding of legislative and regulatory processes
- Ability to be productive and drive results in the face of ambiguity
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts in concise messages
- Passion for learning issues, building strategy and tactics and executing against a plan
- Advanced proficiency in Office 365 Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent customer service skills and email etiquette
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize work
- Excellent decision-making skills
- Flexibility in learning new software and/or computer/technical applications
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Ability to work on cross-functional teams
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Our Updates, Delivered to You
Receive the latest updates from the Consumer Brands Association.