Legislative Assistant, Federal Affairs
3 weeks ago
Rosslyn, VABack to All Careers
Consumer Brands continues to monitor federal, state and local guidance and vaccination progress in the region. This position must be available to work in the DC-Metro area immediately upon hire. The role will be required to report to the office at least 2 days per week and will need to attend meetings on Capitol Hill as needed. Starting September 7th, Consumer Brands is adopting a hybrid work schedule where employees will alternate reporting to the office and working remotely.
Are you passionate about making a difference in the nation you call home? At Consumer Brands, the work we do is powerful, meaningful and has never been more relevant. The legislative assistant, federal affairs is responsible for supporting the federal affairs team and coordinating the day-to-day of Consumer Brands’ advocacy efforts from coordinating Hill meetings on behalf of member companies to supporting the administration of the Consumer Brands PAC. Reporting to the senior vice president, federal affairs this role is a critical hands-on partner and integral to our work advocating for policies that promote maintaining affordability, choice and build trust for the American consumer.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Initiate communications to member companies to inform, solicit feedback or respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Research memos, write markups, draft communications and set up meetings with members of Congress.
- Conduct research and prepare the senior vice president for meetings with members of Congress and stakeholders.
- Develop ongoing knowledge of member stakeholders and their points of contact on various issues.
- Partner with internal divisions on emerging policy issues impacting the consumer packaged goods industry and the association’s strategic priorities.
- Coordinate conference calls and various meetings.
- Coordinate Hill meetings on behalf of member companies and association-led coalitions.
- Coordinate and attend Political Action Committee events.
- Support drafting witness testimony and questions for congressional hearings.
- Analyze bills, amendments and regulatory comments as needed.
- Draft position papers, talking points and slide decks on assigned issues.
- Support administering the PAC including drafting letters, performing outreach, producing collateral and sharing materials related to the PAC.
Experience & Education
- A minimum of a BA/BS degree is required.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of related employment required.
- A track record of demonstrated results in government, association and/or political environments.
- Trade association experience desirable.
- Working knowledge of government (administration, House, Senate or state legislature).
- Working knowledge of the legislative process and government affairs.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Ability to be productive and drive results in the face of ambiguity.
- Passion for learning issues.
- Advanced proficiency in Office 365 Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent customer service skills and email etiquette.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize work.
- Flexibility in learning new software and/or computer/technical applications.
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Ability to work on cross-functional teams.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Our Updates, Delivered to You
Receive the latest updates from the Consumer Brands Association.