Manager, Media Relations
2 weeks agoBack to All Careers
Consumer Brands continues to monitor the ever-evolving pandemic. This position will interview, onboard and work remotely for the foreseeable future and will be expected to be regularly available in the DC-Metro area when federal, state and local guidance support a safe return to face-to-face meetings.
Are you a news junkie? Do you thrive on building relationships? Do you get excited seeing your organization’s name in print after working hard to pitch a story? Is your Twitter feed full of reporters? Then this is the job for you. The manager, media relations is responsible for managing Consumer Brand’s media relations efforts to tell the industry’s story and advance the organization’s advocacy agenda. Reporting directly to the vice president, communications and strategy, this person will work collaboratively with spokespeople and issue experts around the organization to develop key messages, industry positioning and comprehensive earned media campaigns.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Manage and support key relationships with Washington D.C. media contacts from traditional and emerging media outlets and industry trades.
- Manage and support key relationships with communications staff in targeted congressional offices and key committees.
- Identify and elevate targeted media opportunities to increase brand awareness and profile of the association brand and its senior leadership team.
- Proactively build press awareness of Consumer Brands campaigns, issues and events.
- Offer insight and understanding about leveraging new and emerging media technology to strengthen public awareness of key issues among target audiences.
- Draft talking points, press releases, media advisories, Op-Eds, letters to the editor, blog posts and executive briefing documents.
- Monitor policy and industry issues including understanding their history, current activity and future developments.
- Collaborate with industry narrative team to develop key messaging around the release of research and storytelling campaigns.
- Identify and elevate opportunities to engage with key reporters on Twitter.
- Provide information, updates and background materials to Consumer Brands members, staff and stakeholders on all media matters.
- Manage the tracking and reporting of Consumer Brands media hits.
- Assemble and distribute morning news clips.
- Maintain organization media lists.
Experience & Education
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 2-4 years in media role or related work required.
- Excellent written communications skills.
- Strong entrepreneurial and innovative spirit.
- Superior project management skills including the ability to juggle multiple priorities, manage deadlines and budgets and work with little supervision.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including the ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues, effectively navigate conflict and build and maintain strong relationships with the media, members and other key stakeholders.
- Comfort around senior level management – internal and external.
- Strong command of Microsoft Office Suite and Cision.
- Strong knowledge of AP style.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Our Updates, Delivered to You
Receive the latest updates from the Consumer Brands Association.