Vice President, Communications
3 weeks ago
Arlington, Va.Back to All Careers
Consumer Brands is a hybrid workplace! This position is expected to collaborate with our fully vaccinated team collaborates in the Rosslyn office at least three days per week (Wednesdays are required) and works remotely for the remaining days. We are committed to employee safety and wellness and continue to monitor federal, state and local guidance for best practices when it comes to COVID-19.
The vice president, communications, is the lead expert and chief driver of Consumer Brands’ communications and research efforts. Comfortable with creative thinking and strategic execution, this role develops communications campaigns that advance the organization’s message, industry narrative and advocacy agenda. Reporting to the executive vice president, public affairs, and working in a highly collaborative role, this person manages a team of four professionals and oversees the creation of website content, social media, public relations initiatives and all forms of communication that enhance the perception of the organization and generate momentum on issues important to the consumer packaged goods industry.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Collaborate across the organization to create and execute campaigns that lay the groundwork for favorable policy outcomes related to the organization’s advocacy agenda.
- Oversee the communications department comprising media relations, digital, public opinion and industry research that reinforce and support the industry’s advocacy agenda.
- Identify opportunities for the organization and the president and CEO, as its lead spokesperson, to represent the industry and its position in public forums, with policymakers, and with industry.
- Oversee the organization’s digital communications including multiple websites, social media accounts and video production.
- Support the preparation of written and spoken content including speeches, talking points, testimony, board meeting materials, membership communications and other public communications.
- Manage a budget of $1M and a small network of consultants and vendors for strategic communications and digital production.
- Develop promotional campaigns to support advocacy objectives.
- Ensure consistency in the organization’s brand and tone.
- Contribute overarching organization positioning and strategy for all external communications, identifying opportunities and risks.
- Represent the communications function across the organization, as needed.
Experience & Education:
- A minimum of a BA/BS degree in business, communications, public relations, or a related field.
- 10-15 years of related employment required, ideally in media, a trade association, public relations/public affairs agency or government.
- Proven ability to lead teams, with at least five years of direct supervisory experience required.
- Demonstrated experience in generating positive media.
- Team player with exceptional collaboration and internal communication skills.
- Strong prioritization and decision-making skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit who thrives in a fast-paced, changing environment, willing to tackle both big strategic challenges and implement tactical tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to quickly pivot and adapt as organization’s strategic direction evolves.
- Receptive to feedback and direction, and in search of constant self-improvement.
- Strong manager of both people and resources with experience working across different internal teams and members.
- Leader willing to engage with the organization broadly and mentor talent in different departments with different backgrounds.
- Exceptional public speaking skills including the ability to distill and articulate highly complex information to diverse audiences and the executive presence to represent the association at industry forums and events.
- Ability to weigh differing points of view and build strong relationships even when consensus is not possible.
- Proficient in Microsoft 365
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
The Consumer Brands Association is an equal opportunity employer that supports a diverse workforce. We seek candidates for employment based on knowledge, skills and abilities that are relevant to job performance. We do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law
Our Updates, Delivered to You
Receive the latest updates from the Consumer Brands Association.